Baby's First Year
- Breast milk or formula with iron provides all necessary nutrients for your baby's first 6 months of life.
- Start cereal 6 months.
- Start vegetables and fruits at 6 to 8 months. Use plain, not mixed vegetables or fruits.
- Avoid adding sugar to fruit, or salt or fat to vegetables.
- Use strained or finely chopped meat, chicken, or fish. Also try cooked dry beans (mashed to prevent choking) and cottage cheese.
- Buy plain meat, not meat dinners or meat-vegetable combinations.
- Start meat, egg yolk, and other high protein foods at 6 months.
- Offer more "table foods" as your baby gets older. Encourage self-feeding even though it's messy!