WIC Breastfeeding Services
The Maryland WIC Program is committed to helping families have positive, successful breastfeeding experiences.
Breastfeeding is the normal way to feed your baby. Your milk has all the ingredients in the right amounts to give your baby a healthy start. Your milk is always ready and easy to digest... Nursing helps you relax and feel close to your baby. Breastfeeding is a gift only you can give to your child and it provides benefits to your baby that last a lifetime!
The American Academy of Pediatrics encourages mothers to provide only mother's milk for the first 6 months and to continue to give mother's milk while giving other family foods for at least 12 months and beyond, as long as desired by both mother and infant/child.
What are some of the health benefits of breastfeeding?
- Breastfeeding protects babies from infections and illnesses, including diarrhea, ear infections and pneumonia.
- Breastfed babies are less likely to develop asthma.
- Children who are breastfed for six months are less likely to become obese.
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
- Mothers who breastfeed have a decreased risk of breast and ovarian cancers.
What support is available through Maryland WIC for breastfeeding?
Please select the local agency closest to where you live or work to find out about what breastfeeding support is available
Breast feeding Month Proclamation