Rabies Postexposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Basics:
Case Illustrations of the 2010 Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) Guidelines
Course Number: WB 1861
CE Origination Date: June 15, 2011
CE Expiration Date: June 15, 2013
This online course is designed to educate healthcare providers and public health professionals about rabies, the approach used in evaluating patients for rabies virus exposure, and the administration of rabies postexposure prophylaxis (PEP) as recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). There is no cost to view the course or to receive continuing education (CE) credit.
This course was developed as a collaboration of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Assistance was also provided by Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services, and Suburban Hospital-Johns Hopkins Medicine. Click here for more information.
Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher is recommended for viewing the course.
How to Receive CE Credit
To receive CE credit after viewing the course, you must go to CDC Training and Continuing Education Online at www.cdc.gov/tceonline and complete a posttest and a course evaluation. Click here for more instructions.
- CME: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME®) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- CNE: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is accredited as a provider of Continuing Nursing Education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. This activity provides 1.0 contact hours.
- CPE: CDC is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
- This course is a designated event for pharmacists to receive 0.1 CEUs in pharmacy education. The Universal Activity Number is 0387-9999-11-027-H04-P.
- AAVSB/RACE: This course was reviewed and approved by the AAVSB RACE program for continuing education. Please contact the AAVSB Race Program at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any comments or concerns regarding this course's validity or relevance to the veterinary profession.
CDC, our planners, and our content experts wish to disclose they have no financial interests or other relationships with the manufacturers of commercial products, suppliers of commercial services, or commercial supporters.
Presentations will not include any discussion of the unlabeled use of a product or a product under investigational use with the exception of Case 4. In this section of the course, the vaccination regimen for rabies PEP in patients who have not been previously vaccinated will be discussed, with current differences between ACIP guidelines and product labels highlighted. There is no commercial support for this activity.
Rights in Trademark and Copyright
Certain text and graphic content included in these materials is the property of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (CDC) and is protected by international copyright laws. The CDC design element (logo) is protected under United States and international trademark law and may not be used in connection with any product or service that is not CDC’s, in any manner that is likely to cause confusion among viewers or in any manner that disparages or discredits CDC. The presence of the CDC logo on this material is not intended as an endorsement of any commercial entity or product/service.