Nutrition and Physical Activity/Obesity Prevention Program (NPA/O)
The mission of the Nutrition and Physical Activity/ Obesity Prevention Program is to prolong the length and improve the quality of life for Maryland citizens through healthy eating and increased physical activity to reduce overweight, obesity and other chronic diseases.
The purpose of this CDC funded program is to establish, implement and evaluate a state-wide prevention plan addressing obesity prevention through improved nutrition and increased physical activity. The program worked with over 130 professionals to develop the Maryland Nutrition and Physical Activity Plan that was published in May 2006. Strategies from the Plan are now being implemented across the state with numerous partners ranging from academia to business.
The Plan addresses obesity prevention in 4 settings. Click on the icons to learn more about each setting.
- Decrease levels of obesity or reduce the rate of growth of obesity in communities reached through interventions.
- Increase the number of community and State policies, environmental
- support and legislative actions planned, initiated and modified for the prevention and control of obesity.
- Increase caloric expenditure and decrease caloric intake through effective interventions in communities reached.
- Increase the number of evaluated nutrition and physical activity interventions for obesity prevention and control.
- Addressing caloric intake and expenditure.
- Increasing the initiation and duration of breast-fed infants.
- Increasing consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- Increasing physical activity.
- Reducing television time.
Nutrition and Physical Activity/Obesity Prevention Documents:
Maryland Nutrition and Physical Activity Plan 2006-2016 Executive Summary
Maryland Nutrition and Physical Activity Plan 2006-2016
Burden of Overweight and Obesity in Maryland
For more information on the Program
Please contact Dr. Maria Prince at email@example.com, 410-767-5874
Office of Chronic Disease Prevention
201 W. Preston Street, Room 306
Baltimore Md 21201