Information is needed about risk behaviors among groups of persons at high-risk for HIV infection, trends in these behaviors over time, and exposure to and use of HIV prevention services. The three largest high-risk groups that information will be collected on are men who have sex with men (MSM), injecting drug users (IDU), and high-risk heterosexuals (HET). The information collected can help explain trends in new HIV diagnoses and living HIV cases. These data can also be used to evaluate prevention programs and direct future HIV prevention activities.
National HIV Behavioral Surveillance
The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene receives funding from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to participate in the National HIV Behavioral Surveillance (NHBS) System and to collect data for the Baltimore-Towson metropolitan area.
- 2005 MMWR HIV Prevalence, Unrecognized Infection, and HIV Testing Among Men Who Have Sex with Men — Five U.S. Cities, June 2004–April 2005 http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5424a2.htm
- 2006 MMWR Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Risk, Prevention, and Testing Behaviors — United States, National HIV Behavioral Surveillance System: Men Who Have Sex with Men, November 2003–April 2005 http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5506a1.htm
- Lansky A, Sullivan PS, Gallagher KM, Fleming PL. HIV behavioral surveillance in the U.S.: A conceptual framework. Pub Health Rep. 2007 Suppl 1;122:16-23. PubMed PMCID: PMC1804114
- 2009 MMWR HIV-Associated Behaviors Among Injecting-Drug Users — 23 Cities, United States, May 2005–February 2006 http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5813a1.htm
- 2010 MMWR Prevalence and Awareness of HIV Infection Among Men Who Have Sex With Men — 21 Cities, United States, 2008 http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5937a2.htm?s_cid=mm5937a2_w
- 2011 MMWR HIV Testing Among Men Who Have Sex with Men -- 21 Cities, United States, 2008 http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6021a3.htm?s_cid=mm6021a3_w
- 2011 MMWR Characteristics Associated with HIV Infection Among Heterosexuals in Urban Areas with High AIDS Prevalence - 24 Cities, United States, 2006-2007 http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6031a1.htm?s_cid=mm6031a1_e&source=govdelivery
- 2011 MMWR HIV Risk, Prevention, and Testing Behaviors Among Men Who Have Sex With Men. National HIV Behavioral Surveillance System, 21 US Cities, United States, 2008. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/ss/ss6014.pdf?source=govdelivery
- 2012 MMWR HIV infection and HIV-associated behaviors among injection drug users – 20 cities, United States, 2009. www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6108a1.htm
- 2013 MMWR HIV Infection Among Heterosexuals at Increased Risk - United States, 2010. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6210a2.htm?s_cid=mm6210a2_e
In Baltimore the NHBS is performed as a collaboration between the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and operates as the BEhavioral SUrveillance REsearch Study or BESURE.
- Maulsby C, Sifakis F, German D, Flynn CP, Holtgrave D. (2013). HIV risk among men who have sex with men only (MSMO) and men who have sex with men and women (MSMW) in Baltimore. Journal of Homosexuality. 60(1):51-68. PMID: 23241201
- Maulsby C, Sifakis F, German D, Flynn CP, Holtgrave D. (2012). Differences and similarities in HIV testing among men who have sex with men and women (MSMW) and men who have sex with men only (MSMO). Open AIDS Journal, 6: 53-9. PMID:22833774
- Villanti A, German D, Flynn CP, Sifakis F, Holtgrave D. (2012). Smoking, self-reported HIV, and HIV risk behaviors in a respondent driven sample of injection drug users in Baltimore: The BeSure Study. AIDS Education and Prevention, 24(2): 132-47. PubMed PMID:22468974.
- Maulsby, C, Sifakis F, German D, Flynn CP, Holtgrave D. (2011). Partner characteristics and undiagnosed HIV seropositivity among men who have sex with men only (MSMO) and men who have sex with men and women (MSMW) in Baltimore. AIDS and Behavior, 16(3): 543-53. PubMed PMID:21964976.
- German D, Sifakis F, Maulsby C, Towe VL, Flynn CP, Latkin CA, Celentano DD, Hauck H, Holtgrave DR. Persistently high prevalence and unrecognized HIV infection among men who have sex with men in Baltimore: The BESURE Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011 May 1;57(1):77-87. PubMed PMID:21297479.
- Gindi RM, Sifakis F, Sherman SG, Towe VL, Flynn C, Zenilman JM. The Geography of Heterosexual Partnerships in Baltimore City Adults. Sex Transm Dis. 2011 Apr;38(4):260-6. PubMed PMID: 20966827.
- Towe VL, Sifakis F, Gindi RM, Sherman SG, Flynn C, Hauck H, Celentano DD. Prevalence of HIV infection and sexual risk behaviors among individuals having heterosexual sex in low income neighborhoods in Baltimore, MD: the BESURE study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010 Apr 1;53(4):522-8. PubMed PMID: 19875965.
Community Presentation Materials - May 6, 2013
Community Presentation Materials - May 7, 2012
Community Presentation Materials - May 16, 2011